Wednesday 22 February 2017

Answer With Grace



I was asked to fill out a questionnaire by my daughter’s umbrella school the other day, so we sat down and started answering the questions.

 One of the questions asked what was something that God created during the first 6 days, and why was is fascinating to her. 

Her answer was that he had created the Earth using just words.

Let that sink in for a minute.  I know I had to.

My Sweetie, who is only 6 years old, is fascinated that God could create the world using just His words.  And he was gracious enough after that to give us a bible with so many examples of how His words alone can change a life.  And he demonstrated this time and time again.

It really makes me ponder the words that I use.  It is so easy sometimes to react to something that is said to us, rather than to filter it through God’s love.  I know that I have done this more times than I can even remember.   And it’s taught me that when I react to someone rather than consider and filter those words, and answer them in grace, I almost always live to regret it.

In Matthew 12:37 we read "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." ESV  That feels pretty precise.  We can choose to be justified and breathe life into those around us, or we can be condemned, and use our words to lash out at those we cherish the most.

Would you join me in praying that God would take over my mouth and fill my heart with His love, so that it pours out of me to those I love?

Heavenly Father, I thank you today for my family and friends.  I am so blessed that you would choose to surround me so much love.  I pray that you would take hold of my lips and use my words to build and not break.  That I would turn to you to fill my heart when I am wounded, so that I may be an example of your love and grace, not my brokenness.  In your name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment