Sunday 14 April 2013

Even More Than I Realize

My last post was about actively seeking your blessings and how it puts you into a different frame of mind, and your life into perspective.  I counted my husband, children, family, friends and church as my blessings.  I found out later that night that I had left some important ones out.

As I said before, my husband had arranged for us to have this amazing night out.  We went to dinner at a cute little pasta shoppe in town, where they serve Italian soda.  I have to say, I like the restaurant just for having this option!  Anyways, we had a fabulous dinner, then made our way to the local theatre for the jazz music.  My husband, who seems to know everyone, of course knew the parents of the musician we were going to see, so we stopped to talk to them.  I know them through my boss at work.  They are awesome people.  She just exudes happiness and energy.  I know that she is somewhat close to retirement age, although I have no idea just how close, but just watching her sometimes makes me tired.  And I spend my days chasing around 2 kids!  Then Ryan Oliver, the tenor sax player we were going to see came out to say hi.  Now, my husband is 6'6", so I am quite used to see him looking down during a conversation because no one is his height, but Ryan was.  It must be nice for them to have a conversation that is level-headed in a different way once in a while.

When we made our way inside, we sat in the front so that my husband could stretch out his legs.  The crowd was mostly older people, but we still knew quite a few people.  I don't know if it's because I was already looking for the blessings in my life that day or not, but the lady who sat next to us used to teach the CDC swimming that I volunteered with in high school.  A blessing I had forgotten about.  I was lucky enough to be paired with a somewhat physically challenged, shy boy and was tasked with helping him to enjoy the water.  I was not expected to teach him to swim, just help him have fun and develop in him the confidence to start trying.  That little boy is now studying to become an engineer.  How lucky am I that I got to be a part of his life, even if just for that short period of time?

The music was incredible.  Then it was time for intermission.  An old neighbour of mine happened to be there for the concert as well.  She is a very special woman.  Looking back at knowing her, she never once seemed to be out of sorts.  She always had an answer for everything, and if she didn't, she was sure she would find one.  She stood there and talked to my husband and I, then she waited for him to get in line for autographs.  She looked me right in the eye and asked "So, are you happy?"  Now, this was not just making friendly conversation.  This was a person whom I had not had a conversation with in over a decade who REALLY, honestly cared about my happiness.  How on earth could I have overlooked her in my list of blessings?  I had listed a generic thank you for the friends I have in my life, and I certainly meant it, but this was a person who had known me my entire life.  30 years. 

I need to start widening my thoughts.  I don't want to take for granted all the people in my life now, but I intend to start searching out those people who helped shape my life, and who have infinitely more wisdom than I do, and thank them.  I have been fortunate enough to have so many people in my life who care about me that I can't put them into a list in one day.    Can you?  I know not everyone has a plethora of caring influence in their life, but I bet you still have a special circle of people who would love to hear from you. 

Heavenly Father, I know that I thank you every day for the blessings in my life, without even truly knowing all that I am thanking you for.  I pray that you open my mind and my heart to actively seek out people who have helped me along the way and tell them that they have made a difference.  And please let me be a positive, loving influence in other peoples lives in the same way.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment