Monday 22 April 2013

How Great is Our God?

I am sitting here, wondering what to write to you today, listening to "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin, and I am thinking about our worship at church this weekend.  My husband plays on one of the worship teams, and they were leading this Sunday morning.  They were leading for Dwight Forseth, a pastor who travels to different churches to help coach the worship teams.  He also lead the service on Sunday and he sang this one song that I can't stop thinking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-caCz4DD4


 " Well I met an old man walkin' down the street
His clothes were torn and tattered
With sandals on his feet
And I stopped to help him, and lend him a hand
He said, "I love you so much"
But you must understand

Silver and gold, might buy you a home
But things of this world
They won't last you long
And time has a way of turning us old
And time can't be bought back, with silver and gold

And he said to me, "Let's rest for a while
'Cause I have some good news to share with you, child"
He said, "You can't change this old world"
The people need to know
That a dear Savior died here A long, long time ago

And silver and gold, might buy you a home
But things of this world
They won't last you long
And time has a way of turning us old
And time can't be bought back, with silver and gold

His eyes shone like diamonds
And his smile was Heaven sent
His hair was long and flowing
And his back was slightly bent
And I knew, he knew it
'Cause that day I changed
And as I watched him walk on, I forgot to get his name

He said, "Silver and gold, can't buy you a home"
When this life has ended, and your time is gone
But you can live in a world where
You'll never grow old
And things can't be bought there, with silver and gold
And time can't be bought back, with silver and gold."

Now, I can't find any other version than the Dolly Parton one, and I know some of you may not like it based purely on that, but the lyrics stand for themselves.  They are a great reminder to me that no matter how much we stockpile here, it's whats on the other side that matters.  We can't take it with us, so why do we continually put so much time into collecting stuff, and value it so much more than it's worth?

Heavenly Father, I pray today that we learn the true value of all you have done for us.  I pray that we learn to set our eyes on you, and the fact the You alone are what we should be focusing on.  I thank you for all the blessings we have received, and the many more to come.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment