Tuesday 10 September 2013

Shortcomings

As I was doing the dishes last night, asking God what He wanted me to write about, the word shortcomings came to mind.

Now, I am a female.  This means that I have hang-ups.  They may not be the same as everyone else's, but they are there just the same.

These hang-ups often come in the form of comparing ourselves to others. 

You may wish your life looked like that beautiful lady you see at church every Sunday.  "She's always happy, and looks put together.  She is so confident.  I bet her house is always perfect.  Why can't my life be like hers?"

And her life may really be that perfect.  Maybe she has such amazing faith in God, that she really can be that happy.  Maybe her closet is organized by outfit so all she does each morning is pick one out of her closet and she looks great no matter what.  Maybe her house is clean, or maybe she can afford a housekeeper.

But you know what she doesn't have?  Your loving and amazing group of friends and family.  She doesn't have a house full of all those special things and memories you have accumulated over the years.  She doesn't have your relationship with God.  And she most certainly doesn't have the same gifts that God gave especially to you. 

So why would you think that you need to be just like her?

I am not saying I don't have days where I would like to try someone else's shoes out for a day.  Or at least a house that stays clean for an entire day. 

I am saying that God gave you all the things in your life for his own reasons, so love them just like he loves you.  

You and only you are equipped for your journey to his kingdom.

Romans 12:6-8 ESV
Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

If you have a prayer request that you would like me to help you lift up to God, I would be honored to do that.  Leave it in the comments below and I would love to pray with you.




5 comments:

  1. I love this part: "You and only you are equipped for your journey to his kingdom." Realizing that I have my OWN journey to walk is an important part of not constantly comparing myself to others. Also, realizing that no one is as perfect as they appear helps! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comparisons and competition are so destructive to us as women! It's hard to remember that that sort of stuff is a SIN. We shouldn't envy anything our sister has. Not her good looks, not her calm demeanor nor her well-behaved children! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene,
      Thank you for your kind words! Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete
  3. It is so easy to get caught in the comparison trap. Thank you for the reminder to be content with what God has brought to me and mine.

    ReplyDelete